If you’re interested in getting more involved at Asbury or would like to understand the process that leads to church membership, we celebrate that decision and invite you to attend Asbury Engage, usually the last Sunday of every month.
The class takes place after worship downstairs in Room 121 (in the Adult Ministry Wing). Over a complimentary lunch, we’ll share with you a bit about Methodism, Asbury’s history, and how we Worship, Serve, and Grow. And, if you should need it, childcare is available for kids through fifth grade.
If you’ve decided to make Asbury UMC your church home, we invite you to join thousands of others in becoming a member of the church. We believe it’s important and also helpful for new members to have a common understanding of our beliefs, history, culture, practices and expectations. So, for this reason, we have identified a path to membership to help you on your journey.
– Complete online New Member Registration Form.
– Complete online Spiritual Gifts Tool.
– Attend Asbury Engage.
– Take the vows of membership during a weekend worship service. If you have not been previously baptized, this ritual can be performed during worship as well.
Membership vows are also important because they give us an outline for our common work of Christian discipleship. Within The United Methodist Church, members make a covenant (promise) to do the following:
– To renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of the world, and also repent of your sin;
– To accept the freedom and power God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression;
– Confess Jesus Christ as Savior, put your whole trust in his grace, and promise to serve him as your Lord;
– To remain faithful members of Christ’s holy church and serve as Christ’s representatives in the world;
– To be loyal to Christ through The United Methodist Church and do all in your power to strengthen its ministries;
– Faithfully participate in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, your service, and your witness;
– To receive and profess the Christian faith as contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments.
– Once you complete Asbury Engage, you’ll receive an invitation to take the vows of membership during a weekend worship service.
Learn more about the membership vows of The United Methodist Church.
Facilitated by our pastors, you’ll find this experience to be relaxed, welcoming and rewarding as you learn more about our history, values and beliefs, as well as opportunities to worship, serve and grow. You’ll also have an opportunity to ask any questions you might have. A light lunch is provided and complimentary childcare is provided with advance reservation.